Diaper Rash

The day my son was released from the NICU, he developed a diaper rash, so they prescribed Nystatin, since serious diaper rashes such as his are usually caused by yeast infections. Babies have pretty sensitive skin, so you need to be careful what you put on their skin. Turns out my son's skin responds best to diaper rash creams which are not petroleum based. Zinc oxide based products, such as Desitin, seem to work the best for us. I put it on him every night just for diaper rash prevention. If I miss a night or two, he starts getting a rash. Pretty weird.

Shortly after my son started on solid foods, he developed a rash on his neck underneath his chin. I had some Nystatin left, so I used that. The rash cleared up, but a couple months later he got another rash. His doctor recommended putting corn starch and baby powder on it. That didn't really seem to help. His doctor then gave us some Eucerin cream. That by itself didn't help either. Finally, I tried a combination. At night I would put Desitin on the rash. After meals, I would put the Eucerin cream on the rash and after snacks, I would put the cornstarch/baby powder on the rash. I would also clean the rash with warm water and a little soap before each application. Slowly, but surely, the rash went away and did not recur.
So Desitin is pretty versatile. Definitely a must have baby product.



Comments