Fever

Well, my son woke up crying with a fever of 102.5 this morning. I gave him a dose of Children's Tylenol and the fever came down. Shortly before the next dose was due, the fever came back up. Gave him the next dose and he went in for a nap. Well, when he woke up, he had a temperature of 104. Temperatures are always higher in the late afternoon and evening though. He's been pretty mellow all day, not crying or anything, just taking it easy laying down or riding on his toy truck. He's usually very active and doesn't sit still for very long, so when he does, you know something's wrong.
Anyways, after dinner, I gave him a cooler than normal bath. Shortly before I put him to bed, his temperature was a little over 102. I gave him a dose of Tylenol, so let's hope he's back to normal in the morning.
I'm hoping the cause of the fever is teething. He developed a fever with his first couple of teeth, but not the rest. He has all of his teeth except for the last 4 second year molars. He started teething late, so his doctor said he will probably be teething until he is 3. He's handled it very well though.
BTW, I use a Braun ear thermometer to take his temperature. The NICU used an underarm thermometer. I tried it when he came home, but it was a pain in the butt. Forget trying to get him to keep an oral thermometer in his mouth until the reading is done. An anal thermometer is the last resort, so I invested in a pretty decent Braun ear thrermometer from Walmart. Sometimes I wonder if the readings seem a little high, but it takes a reading in a few seconds and is very easy to use.



Comments