update

I was reluctant to talk about my pregnancy as things were going very well and I didn't want to jinx myself, but now that it's over and everything went well I'll give a recap with a few tips.
This was my second pregnancy and surprisingly enough, I felt pretty good the whole time except for a couple of weeks in the middle of the first trimester. My blood pressure stayed good and I even had energy the majority of the time. I really think it had to do with the garlic I take. Every night I eat a half clove of garlic cut up on a cracker with peanut butter. Garlic is supposed to help prevent high blood pressure and cuts the risk of preeclampsia during pregnancy.
I did very well until about 32 weeks. At 28 I developed gestational diabetes, which I expected since I had it with the first pregnancy. It was harder to control with just diet and exercise this time, so I ended up taking insulin. I really didn't want to, but it ended up being a good thing since it let me eat a little more and definitely made my glucose levels easier to control. The doctor gave me an insulin pen where you just used a dial on the pen to set the dosage amount, insert the needle on the pen into my leg and push a button at the top of the pen to inject the insulin. It wasn't bad. Sometimes it hurt, but it all depended on the angle I used to insert the needle.
At 32 weeks, I suddenly started bleeding, so went to the hospital. I have a history of premature delivery, so they put me on magnesium and gave me a couple of steroid shots to help the babies lungs develop faster. The bleeding stopped and after a couple of days I was released, but put on strict bedrest. It sucked, but was kind of relaxing. At 36 I came off bedrest, but my back gave out, started having muscle spasms. That was excruciating. It felt like contractions in my back. When it spasmed, I could barely stand. By 37 weeks, my back was back to normal, so I could do stuff again.
The day I turned 38 weeks, I woke up at 5:30 in the morning and my water had broken. It was really weird because I was dreaming it had broken and then all of a sudden I woke up & discovered it really had broken. Anyways, went to the hospital and at 2:44 pm my son was born. 6 lbs. 14 oz, 20 inches long. Very cute little guy.
My first son was a preemie at 31 weeks and he didn't break trail very well. He was out in 4 1/2 hours with 1 1/2 pushes. My second son was 9 hours and 45 minutes worth of pushing. All in all it wasn't too bad. No epidural, but I did have a narcotic which really didn't help much at all. Was given that after 7 hours, so the delivery was for the most part all natural. Definitely an experience.
So the focus of this blog will now be my adventures in raising my sons. I'll be posting useful tips I come across and will review products I purchase which I find useful. Hopefully I will be able to do a better job keeping this blog updated than I've done in the past, so stay tuned. In my next post I will be reviewing Dr. Brown's bottles.


More Preeclampsia

More Gestational Diabetes

More Preemie

Dr. Brown's Bottles

Comments