Breastfeeding and foods to avoid

My new baby is 6 weeks old today. He's doing good. Very cute & cuddly. Pretty good sleeper for a newborn. Eats at 11pm and will sleep until 4 or 5am. After that feeding, he'll sleep until 9am. The only problem so far, is he is very sensitve to the foods I eat. Broccoli is the worst. It sends him into complete screaming that lasts for at least an hour. The first few days after he came home from the hospital, all he did was eat & sleep. Then my mother brought over broccoli & cheese soup and the screaming began. At first it didnt't register. I thought it was just the adjustment of him to life outside the womb, a growth spurt or maybe silent reflux. Then I read a list of foods to avoid while breastfeeding and there was broccoli. Stopped eating it & the screaming stopped. Other foods I need to avoid are cabbage, onions, dijon mustard, strawberries & chocolate. It's looking like tomato soup makes him vomit. How I'm going to not cook with onions and not eat chocolate for the next year is beyond me. Pump & dump a few batches I guess.
At least garlic seems safe so far. Maybe a bit of gas, but no fits. Garlic is the only thing keeping the white spots off of my tonsils, which I get when I'm run down. Normally I eat 1/2 clove once a day, but have had to increase to a clove per day. I really think garlic is what kept my blood pressure normal when I was pregnant. My first pregnancy I was border line high the whole time, but this time it was normal the whole time. If you have blood pressure problems, eating garlic is worth a try. I eat pickled garlic cut into pieces on a cracker with peanut butter. Start out slow though. Too much garlic will make you sick.

Update: Here's a link to a good chart of foods to avoid while breastfeeding. BTW, you only have to avoid the offending foods for 3 months. Yaaaay!


More breastfeeding


More silent reflux


More garlic

Comments