Breastpumping information and tips

One topic new moms always have questions about is breastfeeding and pumping. I strictly pump for my newborn and also did so with my 3 year old who was a preemie, so I thought I would give some info & tips on how I do it.

First, you need a good pump. I use the backpack version of the Medela Advanced Pump in Style breastpump. I bought mine from BestBuyBaby.com for $225.00. Great pump. Shelling out a couple hundred for a good pump, in the end, is much cheaper than the few thousand you would spend on formula; and remember, breastmilk is a thousand times better for your baby than formula.

Next, you need to set up a schedule. It's very important you stick to the schedule and pump at approximately the same time every day. You should pump every 3 to 4 hours for at least 15 to 20 minutes. I pump about 25 to 30 minutes each time, except for the first pump of the day. That's closer to 45 minutes, just because I'm fuller from not pumping during the night and want to make sure they are emptied. Emptying your breasts fully at each pumping session will help you increase and maintain your milk supply.
My pumping schedule is set up as follows:

The first pump time is whenever my son wakes up. Today it was 8am.
#2 is at 11am. This session is 3 to 4 hours after the first pump, no later than 11am though.
#3 is at 3pm. This session time does not vary.
#4 is at 6pm. This session time does not vary.
#5 is at 8:30pm. This session time does not vary.
#6 is at 11pm. This session time does not vary.

Note: my son eats 6 times a day, but if your baby eats during the night, you will need to pump then too. Basically, pump every time your baby eats, which should be every 3 to 4 hours.
In order to get my son to sleep through the night, I feed him consistently every 3 to 4 hours during the day according to my schedule above and then let him go after his 11pm feeding. Each week, as he gets older, he sleeps a little bit longer. He's now 10 weeks and slept 8 hours straight last night.

I pump and feed my son at the same time, except for the 3pm session when he eats at 2pm. At that feeding, I eat lunch and feed him at the same time. When I pump and feed him at the same time, I put him in his LeapFrog Magic Moments Learning seat and sit on the floor in front of him. Works well.

The bottles I use are Dr. Brown's standard bottles. My review is here. They are supposed to reduce spit up and gas.
My son currently averages 4 - 5 ounces at each feeding.
Here's some general guidelines as to what amount to put in the bottle:

Age: avg amount per feeding:
1-2 wks: 2-3 oz
3-4 wks: 3-4 oz
1-2 mths: 4-5 oz
2-3 mths: 5-6 oz
3-4 mths: 6-7 oz
4-7 mths: 7-8 oz
7-9 mths: 7-8 oz
9-12 mths: 7-8 oz


The batch of milk he gets at each feeding is as follows:

AT THIS FEEDING : HE GETS THIS BATCH:

#1 at 8am : #1 at 8am from the previous day
#2 at 11am : #1 at 8am from today
#3 at 2pm : #2 at 11am
#4 at 6pm : #3 at 2pm
#5 at 8:30pm : #4 at 6pm
#6 at 11pm : #5 at 8:30pm

Note: My #6 at 11pm batch gets dumped so I can eat half a garlic clove at 9:30pm to keep me from getting too run down. Garlic works wonders. Unfortunately it gives my son a lot of gas.

My son is very sensitive to what I eat, so this schedule makes it a little easier to track down what foods I may need to avoid. This post gives more info on what foods to avoid when breastfeeding.
My supply has been amazing so far, so whatever is left after I fill his bottle gets frozen.

Some tips to maximize your supply:

1.The hardest is try to get plenty of rest.

2.Pump at the same time every day. If your supply starts to decrease, add another pumping session.

3.Drink plenty of water. I drink a ton : 1-2 glasses every time I pump, 1-2 glasses at each meal/snack. I probably drink about 20 glasses pf water a day. I keep my water pitcher at room temperature. It's easier to drink the water when it's not cold. Water is good for, has no calories and keeps you healthy.

4.Get plenty to eat. I eat 6 times a day and try to eat as healthy as I can despite having to temporarily cut out some vegetables, fruit and milk due to my son's sensitivity.

5.Massage your breasts while you pump. That helps make sure all the milk gets out, which prevents clogged ducts that can lead to mastitis.

Comments