Bisphenol-A, BPA

I'm a bit late on this one, but better late than never I guess. I just read about BPA in Baby 411 a few weeks ago and have been subconsciously digesting the information, but should have been proactive sooner, since everywhere I look is an artice about Bisphenol-A poisoning. Apparently 90% of all baby bottles on the market today contain a chemical called Bisphenol-A or BPA which MAY cause problems such as obesity, type 2 diabetes, cancer such as breast cancer and prostate cancer, and early onset puberty. BPA is leached into the formula or breast milk when the bottle is heated or warm liquid is added to it.
My first son is out of luck. He's 3 now and I used Munchkin's Tri-Flow bottles with him. They contain BPA.
My second son is partly out of luck. I've been using Dr. Brown's bottles with him. They also contain BPA. Dr. Brown's have come out with glass bottles though and have plans to come out with BPA free plastic bottles sometime in the next few months. I'm not too keen on glass due to the possibility of breakage, but I will definitely be buying the BPA free bottles when they become available. For now I'm going to try Sassy Baby's MAM BPA free bottles. They are available at Amazon.com, Target, Walmart, SassyBaby.com. They are a bit cheaper than the BornFree bottles. Gerber has BPA free plastic bottles available which may be usable with the Dr. Brown inserts and nipples, but they weren't available at Amazon.com with free shipping. I'm going to look in Walmart though. EvenFlo has glass bottles available.
Apparently BPA is in pretty much everything. Items with a recyclable number of 7 contain BPA. A recyclable number of 5 do not contain BPA.
There is no confirmed information that BPA is harmful to humans. Studies done on animals prove BPA is harmful to them. Studies suggest BPA might be harmful to humans. Since I've just discovered this and my youngest is still on the bottle, I'm going to be safe and switch to a BPA free bottle. I just bought a new batch of Dr. Brown bottles a month ago, so I hate to give them up, but better safe than sorry I guess.
For further reading on BPA and baby bottles, check out these links:

Z Recommends - great site with all the latest info and lists of BPA free bottles, feeding items, etc.

Baby 411 Blog - and Baby 411 - blog and companion site to the book Baby 411 whose authors are pediatricians

Comments