How to Wash Stuffed Animals Dust Mite Allergy

About 3 months ago, my almost 3 year old had a cold and ever since then he wakes up in the morning and after his nap coughing. He just coughs for a few minutes and then he's ok. Sometime it's a real bad phlegmy cough though. I'm starting to think it's some sort of allergy, possibly to dust mites. I've been trying to clean everything I can think of in his room. I dusted, cleaned out the closet, vacuumed and steam cleaned the floor. I took out all of his old pillows and bought him a new aller ease pillow. I still have to buy a cover to put over his mattress.
I washed all of his blankets and stuffed animals. Washing the stuffed animals was the fun part. All of them say spot clean, so I wasn't sure what to do with them. He has tons of them and loves them all. I decided to take a chance and wash them in the washing machine. I took a couple of pillow cases and put a bunch of stuffed animals in each one. I didn't tie the end of the pillowcases shut, but next time I might try that. I put the stuffed pillowcases in the washing machine on the gentle cycle, hot water setting. The water needs to be hot in order to kill any dust mites lurking in the stuffed animals. I also use Arm and Hammer perfume and dye free laundry detergent. After the washing was done, I put everything in the dryer on the gentle cycle. The stuffed animals came out clean and soft.
After doing all of that, his coughing is not quite as bad. I'm going to add a few plants to his room and see if that helps any. Apparently plants are good for purifying the air. I may end up buying an air purifier for his room too.

More Allergies


Comments