Croup Ear Infection Home Remedies

My two little boys have come down with the croup. It all started Saturday night when my oldest looked very pale. I took his temperature and sure enough, he had a fever. Shortly after, he started making a strange cough. I've never heard anything like it, but based on previous cold n flu research I kind of figured it was croup. He sounded just like a barking seal.
After a few days he wasn't eating much and would gag/choke on certain things he did eat. Apparently croup causes inflammation in the throat around the voice box, so that explains why it was hard for him to eat.
He also had a continuous high fever for 5 days. At night it was ranging from mid 103 to low 104, so yesterday afternoon the doctor let me bring him in. She confirmed it was croup and that he also has an ear infection. Now he's on azithromycin for the ear infection. Croup is a virus, so nothing you can do about it except let it run its course.
I can never just do nothing, so whenever the boys get sick, I immediately start giving them Hyland's Cold n Cough 4 Kids along with a few other of my cold n flu home rememdies, such as lots of fluids, apple cider vinegar, lollipop juice and Vitamin C. It got us through last winter with only 2 rounds of antibiotics for the oldest, none for the youngest. Not too bad considering we were pretty much sick non stop from mid September until the end of June.
The little guy is on day 2 of his bout with croup. I immediately started him on Hyland's Cold n Cough 4 Kids since I knew it was bad and he has a history of wheezing. He's doing pretty well. The first night his temperature was 103, but last night it was about 102. His cough is getting much better.
I've also been loading them both up on honey, which is great for coughs. Honey coats the throat, is high in antioxidants and is antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral. If you can find it, Buckwheat honey is the best for coughs. It's very dark. The boys don't like it, but it works great for me.
I run a cool mist humidifier at night for both boys too. A humidifier helps loosen mucus and open the airways by adding moisture into the air.


More Home Remedies


Comments

Unknown said…
Good Information in your blog.
Keep it up.
Thanks for share.

Best Regarding.
Home Remedies
Anonymous said…
Allergies are one of the most common causes of cough. Your child may be allergic to certain things like dust, pollen, pets, plants, which may cause a runny nose and sniffles.

_______________________
Have a look also at Common Cold Remedy