Dust Mite Allergy Carpeting

Last winter my 3 year old was sick a lot thanks to his brother starting preschool. He had a constant runny nose for months. Once the school year ended, he still had a runny nose, all summer. It just wouldn't go away. He would also wake up coughing and then be ok for the rest of the day, until the next morning when he'd start coughing again. Other than that he acted ok.
I finally caught on that something besides a cold must be going on, so I turned to the internet and did some research.
Allergies are what kept coming up. I tried cutting a few things, mainly dairy, out of his diet with no luck. I cleaned his room from top to bottom, steam cleaned his carpet, washed his sheets and the few favorite stuffed animals I let him keep. Cleaning the carpet and washing the stuffed animals seemed to help for a week or so, which led me to the conclusion it must be a dust mite allergy.
I bought him a special aller ease pillow and a mattress allergy cover.
The carpet was only 7 1/2 years old and I really hated to take it out, if I wasn't 100% sure it was a dust mite allergy. All of the articles I read about dust mite allergies said to take out the carpeting. I got to the point where that was the only thing left to do. His eyes were now starting to crust shut in the morning when he woke up. BTW, Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo helped take care of that pretty well.
Finally, out came the carpet and in went cheap wood flooring from Lowes. Total cost for the flooring was only about $70.
After about two weeks, problem solved. The runny nose, cough and crusted eyes were all gone.
The problem with the carpet was his father used to use that room to change his clothes. He works with wood and his clothes are always covered in sawdust. He's a slob and I refuse to clean after him. He would just leave piles of dirty clothes laying around on the floor without ever cleaning the carpet. Years of buildup must have led to some pretty strange stuff growing in the carpet.
After the room became my son's room, I would steam clean it pretty frequently. Every time I did, the steam cleaner tank would be filled with all this disgusting dirt. I have a top rated steam cleaner, Hoover F5914-900, too. Apparently, dirt & dust get way down deep into the carpet and no amount of steam cleaning or vacuuming will get it out.
Getting it professionally done helps, but a lot still stays trapped.
Anyways, glad to have solved the runny nose, coughing, dust mite allergy problem.


More Dust Mite Allergy Info


Comments