Organize and Declutter Your House and Life

For my birthday, the boys father bought me an Amazon Kindle Fire. It's really cool! Amazon offers a whole bunch of books for free too. One of the books I downloaded was Absolutely Organize Your Family by Debbie Lillard. One of my resolutions this year is to declutter. We've lived here for almost nine years, so it's time. With all the talk of the world ending, which of course it's not, 2012 seems like a good year to start fresh. Compared to some people, I don't have a lot of things accumulated, but I like things clean, fresh and organized. I feel like the walls are closing in on me when there is too much clutter. I do have a bunch of junk drawers that need cleaning out. With junk mail and all the papers that get sent home from school, it's really easy to accumulate extra clutter. Not to mention all of the boys' toys. They are 4 and 7 now with no plans for a third, so I guess it's time to pack up some of the toddler toys that are still laying around. The boys rooms are a total mess, especially the 4 year olds. He's not compliant at keeping his toys picked up yet. He just dumps things out and then wonders why he can't find things. Legos are all over both boys' rooms. Legos are a great creative toy, but they are a pain to pick up. I have bags of Legos hidden away because I'm so tired of picking them up every night.
The book I downloaded is also supposed to have information on organizing kid's rooms and helping them learn to organize. I haven't gotten to that part yet, but I can't wait! I hope it works!
One tip I read is if you don't use something, throw it away. People hold on to things because of emotional attachment or thinking maybe someday they will use it. Another tip is to keep like things together. When like things are together, you can see exactly what you have and what you need and don't need.
The part I'm on now talks about organizing your families schedules. We lead a pretty relaxing, low key life, so that's not a big issue yet. I don't believe in having such busy, stressful lives that you are always running from one place to another. You get tired and cranky, and the kids get tired and cranky. Few people realize that relaxation is an important part of a healthy lifestyle. All you have to do is say NO. lol. I do have a calendar that I write appointments and activities in though.
BTW, you don't need a Kindle to read Kindle books. You can download the Amazon Kindle Cloud Reader app for the Chrome web browser and read the books using that. The Amazon Kindle Cloud Reader app and the Chrome web browser are both free too.


More Home Organization Tips


Comments