Speech Evaluation

Only 6 more months until my little 4 year old starts pre-school. I don't know what I'm going to do with myself once both boys are in school. Probably enjoy the quiet, and maybe I'll actually go into work a little more.
In preparation for sending my son off to pre-school, his speech is being evaluated. He was tongue tied when he was born, so I had his tongue clipped when he was 9 months old. After that, his speech seemed to regress, and he's been difficult to understand. The past 5 months, his speech has really improved a lot on its own. The speech evaluation process started last week when we went to visit a psychologist. The evaluation is being done through the school, so that it is free. That also requires a psychological evaluation. Honestly, I wasn't impressed with the psychological evaluation. It was an hour and 15 minutes, so to begin with how do you judge a person in that short amount of time and seeing them once?
The doctor had him perform a whole bunch of tests, that wore me out just watching. Some of the tests were problem solving like putting blocks in holes, imitating taps on blocks and using blocks to replicate a given picture. Other tests involved language where he had to count and describe what was happening in a picture.
The problem solving tests my son did excellent on. He scored above and beyond the 4 year old level.
Unfortunately, he scored as low as you possibly can on the language tests. My son is kind of a quiet guy, especially around people he doesn't know. The test was at an unfamiliar location with an unfamiliar person, who I'm not sure I really liked. My son didn't really say too much, so I don't see how you can evaluate someone on a language test when they don't respond to the questions. It's hard to judge whether he knew things or not.
Next week is the speech evaluation, so we will see how he does on that. Hopefully the doctor will be better and will be able to get him to be more verbally responsive.

Comments