Safety First

Guest Post contributed by Cori I am always trying to find new ways to save some money. A coupon here, a good deal there, buying used and gently worn items, etc. etc. So when I needed to have a tired replaced, it seemed like it was only a natural choice to purchase part worn tires for my car, instead of splurging on pricey brand new ones. Thank goodness I decided to check it out online before I actually went through with it! At first I found a lot of information about all of the regulations in place to make sure that these tires are safe and meet certain standards for resale. Then, I came across an article on TrustedDealers.co.uk about an investigation that was done on places that sell these partially used tires. Apparently whoever conducted the investigation went around purchased 50 tires from different vendors. What they found was both staggering and disgusting. Almost all of the tires were in violation of the regulations in place, often by being mismarked, but what is even more terrifying is that some of them were violations which made the tires very clearly unsafe for driving. One tire was even described as having the “potential to kill”! Two of the tires still had objects which had poked through the tired stuck in them, four of them had damage done to the liner on the inside, sixteen of them had not been repaired following proper guidelines, and six were driven without being properly inflated. This is really terrifying when you think of all of the potential damage these “money-saving” tired could have possibly caused to drivers and passengers alike. As I mentioned, I am all for saving money, but never at the expense of my own or someone else's safety. I can't believe that a practice such as this is even still illegal because regardless of the fact that the government has put “regulations” into place, it is obvious they are not being enforced strictly enough! I employ anyone who reads this to either buy brand new tires or if you absolutely must purchase worn tires, please only do it from trusted dealers!

Comments