Mommy Break Time, Toddler Congestion Remedies

Found an interesting message board / parenting community called Mommy Break Time. I just thought it was a message board, but it appears there is more to it than just that. Here's an excerpt from the latest update sent:

Each person is a Newborn when they first join. As Newborns you only see the Welcome Center and all the boards in there. We actually have alot more stuff here. Once you've posted 20 posts in the Welcome Center your rank will go up to Baby. You will then see TONS more boards! You can then go forth and start posting on the new boards you now have axcess to. When you reach 75 post your rank will go up to Toddler. Thats when you can join in on swaps, be added to the pen-pals list, enter photo contests, and be eligible for Member Of The Month. We have ways to win stuff each month. We have a Virtual Lotto going on this month.


My son is a bit congested and refuses to let me help him blow his nose, so I'm in pursuit of some home remedies. I just gave him a bath & the warm steam seemed to help. He sneezed and out came a big glob that was clogging his one nostril. He has a humidifier in his room, so that should help.
I did find a couple of interesting articles:
http://ezinearticles.com/?Natural-Cough-Remedies-For-Babies&id=232004

http://www.jessicasachs.com/articles/2005/12/the_best_home_remedies.html

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070309193247AA4ExqV


I read an interesting tip to keep the child from becoming dehydrated: make jello and double the amount of water in the recipe. That would definitely work with my son. He's not a big drinker, but he does like jello. I think I will give that a try tomorrow. His lips were a bit red tonight. That's usually a sign of needing more fluids.

I do advise caution when trying any home remedies though. Babies and toddlers are much smaller than adults, making them more sensitive and more prone to adverse reactions, even to substances used in small quantities.

UPDATE: For congestion, pour a little apple cider vinegar on a paper towel and wipe the child's nose with it and also wipe underneath the nose. Rub the paper towel on their chest if coughing and wipe a little on their shirt. Also add a 1/8 cup of apple cider vinegar to a vaporizer or humidifier. May also want to try adding 1/8 tsp to 1/4 tsp to the child's drink a couple of times a day. Apple cider vinegar kills bacteria and viruses. Check out www.earthclinic.com for more info on apple cider vinegar as a congestion home remedy.
I've also started using Emergen-C for kids as a preventive measure and Emergen-C for adults for myself. They are a Vitamin C drink full of various other vitamins. You can get them at Rite-Aid, Walmart, Amazon.com, or SwansonVitamins.com. Emergen-C is not for those under 2 though.

12/28/10 - Here's a link to a later post listing a few more cold/flu/congestion home remedies I use. Vick's Baby Rub also works to help relieve congestion. I rub it on their chest and on their feet. At night, I put socks on their feet after rubbing the Vicks Baby Rub on their feet to help relieve coughing.

9/19/11 - Here's a recipe for a apple cider vinegar/garlic/honey home remedy. It's really good!
http://ice-princess-parent-talk.blogspot.com/2011/09/apple-cider-vinegar-honey-garlic-recipe.html


More Natural Home Remedies







David's Cookies (Fairfield Gourmet Foods Corporation)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.
Anonymous said…
Brim over I agree but I think the brief should acquire more info then it has.