BPA free baby bottles

The BPA free Sassy Baby MAM baby bottles I ordered arrived a few days ago. Unfortunately, my son doesn't seem to like the nipple much. The nipple is a bit strange looking. It's a bit long lengthwise and narrow in the width with flat areas on the front and back. The bottles are also wide neck. With the first try, my son did finish the bottle. After the first few sucks, he didn't seem to have a problem. The next attempt was the first feeding of the day. Maybe he was just too hungry, but we gave up after a few sucks and some crying. The next feeding we got about halfway through the bottle before giving up. He finished the bottle at the next feeding though. I think if I persisted, he could get used to them without a problem. I'm not so sure I'm going to though.
The MAM bottles are very nice though. They are easier to clean than the Dr. Brown bottles. The bottom of the bottle unscrews and it contains a rubber valve.The valve does not have any tiny holes. It is easy to clean. Then there is just the bottle, nipple and collar. The markings are easy to read, but they are not as detailed as the Dr. Brown bottles. The MAM bottles only have markings for every ounce and half ounce and the corresponding ml marks. If you are switching from breast to bottle and your baby is not used to any other nipples, the Sassy Baby MAM bottles are definitely worth a try.
Walmart has a Parent's Choice brand BPA free bottles, a 3 pack for $2.96. I picked up a pack tonight and they work great with the standard Dr. Brown nipples and inserts. No leaking and the venting system works just fine. The Walmart Parent's Choice brand BPA free bottles are 9 oz. bottles, but a bit short for the 8 oz. Dr. Brown inserts. I have 2 4 oz. inserts, so I tried using them and they work just fine. I did take an insert from one of the 8 oz. bottles and cut it down. It's kind of a pain to cut down, but doable. Since the Walmart Parent's Choice brand BPA free bottles are so cheap and work with the Dr. Brown nipples and inserts, I think I'm just going to use them. My only complaint about the Parent's Choice brand BPA free bottles is the markings are very difficult to see. The markings are raised, but they are the same color as the bottle. For a cheap BPA free bottle, compatible with the Dr. Brown inserts, I guess I can live with it.
BTW, my son had his 4 month checkup last week, so I asked his doctor what she thought about switching to BPA free bottles and she hadn't even heard about BPA leeching because there haven't been any articles about it in the medical journals. She said it was a media thing and to use BPA free bottles if it made me feel better. Not exactly very reassuring.

Comments

My Vision said…
Interesting. I've never heard of BPA either. I'm taking my little one to the ped soon so I will ask when I go. Good to know there are special bottles available.
Ice Princess said…
Yes, seems nothing is safe these days. At least there are safe alternatives.